Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A few quick notes


  1. The season is winding down but it's not over yet!  The Kobuk 440 starts on April 12 (mass start!  I hope they get some video).  Trackleaders will be providing race tracking
  2. The new Mushing magazine is out and includes an article I wrote on GPS race tracking
  3. Having been peripherally involved in organizing several local races, I'm kind of appalled by the amount of paperwork that has to be done the hard way (manually).  So, I'm starting to write a race management package - RGOs have events, events, have races, races have OMGWTF, etc.  One goal is to automate much of the form generation and accounting, and I hope to integrate it with race reporting but there are some tough constraints, like not being able to assume network connectivity, a few volunteers not being comfortable using computers, etc.  Any thoughts or wish-list items would be much appreciated
  4. Check it out - a blog on backpacking stoves!  It has excellent stuff on cold weather fuel considerations, etc.  I don't know about you but I almost always carry an Esbit solid fuel stove when out on the trail.  They weigh next to nothing and fold down nearly flat and I think they're great survival gear, but there's no way that I'd choose to cook with one given an option.  So, when I expect that I'll actually be cooking I have a couple of Jetboils and I'll carry one, although they aren't great in the cold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment