Saturday, March 9, 2013

Something interesting from the "analytics"

I know I'm getting pretty repetitive about the limitations of IonEarth's so-called "analytics," so I thought it might be novel to write about something I just noticed that may or may not be useful.  I was looking at Aliy's and Martin's plots for the last 24 hours or so, and it appears to be the case while both Martin and Aliy are now traveling slower than their average speed while moving (although I don't think IonEarth's numbers here are particularly reliable), the difference between Martin's current speeds and his average speed is larger than the difference between Aliy's current speeds and her average speeds.  That is to say, he's slowed down more than she has.  Or at least I think that's the case - we're relying on visual guesstimates here but the y-axis scales seem to be the same.



So, at long last - IonEarth finally produces an insight not otherwise easily recognizable.

1 comment:

  1. I'm no paid IonEarth mole but I think the basic data is reliable and the visual graphs can give us accurate insight. The key is correct interpretation of what is presented.

    My fear is many don't know how to unclutter the graph and s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the data stream for a specific day, or half day, as Melinda did in her Buser/Zirkle example.

    My perception is the data Melinda is showing in her Buser/Zirkle examples jives with other simi-independant reports from the trail.

    ReplyDelete