Thursday, July 30, 2015

How to access (and copy!) race spreadsheets

Hi, all!




I thought it might be useful to produce a video showing how to access race spreadsheets.  I know that many of you are curious about what might be shown in data from past races and have questions that you'd like to answer, but haven't had the data to do it.  Data acquisition is quite labor-intensive and not very much fun, so not there's not that much data out there, and what there is is often in, well, suboptimal shape.  My race spreadsheets are in Google Drive and so are available on the web to anybody who's interested in taking a look at them, making copies, doing their own analyses, and so on.

So, I've made a video showing how to access them and how to make copies for your own use.  I haven't figured out how to put clickable links in Youtube videos, but the folder containing the spreadsheets is here.

Have fun with it, let me know if you've got questions, and especially let me know if you find anything interesting!  Future videos will show how to do simple calculations with the spreadsheets, easy plots (graphs), and so on.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    I know this is and 11th hour question... I missed the 2014 Quest and did not build my regular spreadsheet. Now I am putting one together and thought I would use yours from your google drive link. I notice it is complete up to Dawson then it's missing some times? Is there a complete version or am I going to have to enter the info via YQI past-results page?

    Looking forward to the Quest and your always interesting coverage + Trackleaders coverage.

    thanks, Darren.

    ReplyDelete